The human brain is the most important organ in the human body. It is the command center for the human nervous system. The human brain helps us learn new things, remember and reason. It receives input from the sensory organs and sends output to the muscles. Like other mammal brains, the human brain has the same basic structure, but it is larger in relation to the body size than any other mammal brain.
The mechanism of the human brain is a crucial section in biology subject. There are many amazing facts that students are not aware of the human brain. Some interesting facts about the human brain are given below.
- The human brain can absorb around 0.025 kilowatts of energy. This is enough to illuminate a standard electric light bulb.
- The human brain is about 2% of a body’s weight but it uses 20% of its total energy and oxygen intake.
- The weight of the human brain is around 3 pounds which comprise 60% of fat. The brain is the fattest organ in the human body.
- There are around 75 to 100 billion neurons present in the brain. The blood vessels present in the brain are almost 100000 miles in length.
- The human brain is faster than the computer and it is capable of solving problems more efficiently.
- Seafood is the most beneficial diet for the human brain. Sea food contains fatty acid which can increase the brain’s performance up to 15%.
- Neurons in the brain multiply more than 200000 neurons per minute during the time of pregnancy.
- New brain connections are created every time a person learns something new or form a memory.
- The human brain has about 70000 thoughts per day out of which 70% are believed to be negative.
- There is no division between left and right brain. The two sides always work together.
- Half of the human brain can be removed by surgery with no effect on memory or personality.
- The smell of chocolate increases the ‘theta brain waves’. These waves trigger a relaxation in the brain cells.
- The scientific term for brain freeze is “Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia”.
- It requires activity in 5 different regions of the brain to laugh at a joke.
- According to scientists, the human brain treats rejection like physical pain.
- The capacity for emotions such as happiness, joy, sadness, shyness, and fear are already present in the brain at birth.
Subscribe to Byju’s YouTube Channel to learn the working of the human brain and its important functions with the help of interactive video lessons.